Monday, February 16, 2009

Infomercials I could do without: Obama Coins



I’ll start out by saying I am quite partial to infomercials in general. I think they are a great medium to market useless products, often resulting in sky-high scores on the unintentional comedy scale. It also serves as a vessel to launch careers of charismatic douchebags or revive the careers of ex-stars or athletes. Also, I hate preparing my salmon and rice in two separate dishes and like to see it’s possible for them to be perfectly cooked in one simple countertop appliance.


The commercials for these Obama Inaugural Coins are essentially useless. I doubt there are any items on the market that are as worthless as these pieces of shit. The website reads “Celebrate the New America!” What it should say instead is “Overpay for Defaced Currency in a Depression!”


Americans, as history shows us, love to leap at the chance to profit off significant historical events. There was the rise in patriotic memorabilia after 9/11. And, of course, the hole-in-the-skull Lincoln Assassination Bobblehead.


A Google search reveals multiple sites calling these coins “rip-offs.” No shit. There will be no demand for these in the future and anyone that believes so needs to be taken out behind the shed and kicked in the shin.


Grandma, if you are reading this on your WebTV, please don’t bother getting me any of these for Christmas. It won’t change the fact I think you’re still a racist. Plus, I still have one of the Reagan engraved gold bars they handed out at country clubs in the 80’s.

1 comment:

  1. it also helps you appreiciate certain TV personalities you might not otherwise have thought twice about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

    ReplyDelete